Monday, July 4, 2011

Anna and the French Kiss - Review

Anna and the French Kiss
Stephanie Perkins

Synopsis:
Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.

As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?


Review:
This book falls into what I like to consider the "Fluffy Books" category. I think others may also refer to the category as Chick Lit. Fluffy just sounds more appealing to me. It's fluffy because it's basically the Chick-Flick of books. Average female, devastatingly handsome male, ensue cutesy love story and goofy grins. While this may not be my preferred genre, I'm still a female and enjoy a dose of sappy love once in a while.

I was looking for a quick read with a cute love story. This book definitely fit the bill easily enough. I was up until 3 in the morning reading this sucker. Whether that was due to the fact that I took an uncharacteristic nap that day, or the book was just that addicting remains to be seen. Fact of the matter is, I was hooked. All of Anna's friends were unique and charming. I liked the chemistry between them all. I also enjoyed the descriptions of Paris. I've never been myself, but I felt like I got a brief glimpse into the city.

"So Crystal, It's obvious you liked the book. Why did you only give it 3 stars?"
Well, I'm glad you asked. Let me explain. As much as Anna made me like St. Clair, after finishing the book and looking back on it, I found him to be a bit weak and quite-honestly, a coward. *ducks from all the St. Clair swooners*

I mean come on, their "not yet relationship status" dragged on to make up over 3/4 of the book. At the end when St. Clair finally has the balls to admit his feelings out loud to Anna (mind you this wasn't until after they shared a kiss) we find out that the only reason he hasn't broken up with Ellie is because he is scared to be alone and wasn't sure if Anna felt the same way about him. Umm..hello! There's a little thing known as Communication. It probably would have come in handy a looong time ago, instead of little hints and flirts. Which were cute at first, but at some point stuff has to be aired out, preferably before you cheat on your girlfriend (mentally or physically). That's just not cool man.

Oh well, at least I picked up a new word out of the deal. Callipygian...look it up. I'm determined to slip this into a conversation sometime in the near future. =)

I rated "Anna and the French Kiss":

'Till Next Time!

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this around but it hasn't really caught my interest. Now the cheating boyfriend is kind of putting it lower on the possible reads pile, haha.

    Preet
    A Written Rhapsody

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Preet. Yea it was pretty subtly thrown in there. Like I mentioned in the review, through Anna's narrative I tended to overlook a few of the main male character's flaws. But once I reflected on it I realized how shady he was. haha. =)

    ReplyDelete