Friday, July 1, 2011

My Soul To Take/Save - Review

My Soul to Take and part of My Soul to Save
Rachel Vincent

Synopsis:
She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.


Review:
I don't even know how to start putting my disappointment into words. I guess I'll start by saying that this review covers the entire first book and the first few chapters of the second. I couldn't even finish the second one. I REALLY wanted to like these books. I thought the story was unique. The characters were believable enough. There was a love interest. But there were just too many stinking contradictions. There were several small ones in the first book. They were small enough that I don't remember exactly what they were, save for one instance. There was a scene where Nash and Kaylee were somewhere and Nash asked her if she wanted something to drink and she said she wasn't thirsty. Well on the next page she orders a Coke. ???. There were several small things like that that made me go "Wait, What?".

But they were forgivable, until the second book. When Nash's mom was helping Kaylee reign in her scream and she failed, she went on to describe how a Banshees scream to a fellow female Banshee(forgive my not-politically-correct spelling) is just as annoying and unpleasant as it to humans. (This was another Wait, What? moment). I even went back into the previous book to where Nash's mom screamed to save her cousin's soul, and Kaylee described it as "the most beautiful thing she has ever heard" or something to that effect.
All together now..."Wait, What?!"

I don't know, I just felt that, if the author couldn't even keep track of her own story, how was I expected to believe it. I was really bummed to hate it so much. As you can tell from other reviews, I'm in a small majority. So I would still recommend you to pick it up and give it a shot for yourself. What bothered me may not bother others.

I originally gave My Soul to Take 3 stars and My Soul to Save 1 star since I couldn't even finish reading it. So let's just average them out and make it:


'Till Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment