Thursday, June 30, 2011

Before I Fall - Review

Before I Fall
Lauren Oliver

Synopsis:
What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: the world's most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High—from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it turns out to be her last.

Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.

Review:
Let me just start this review by saying, "Ohhh Emmm Gee". I reserve that statement for the most shocking, breathtaking and/or extreme situations. This book is OMG worthy.
Lauren Oliver managed to spin a hopeful/tragic, heart-warming/heart-breaking, happy/sad story in one book. This was a love/hate read for me. I started off reading this not really knowing exactly was its premise was. My initial reaction to it wasn't great. You start off submerged in the middle of a popular high-school clique. Sam's retelling of her experiences left me bored. I was never deeply involved with my own high-school experience because many of the dramatic and b*tchy attitudes didn't appeal to me. But I made my self keep reading because I don't like to give up on a book unless it's absolutely terrible. And this wasn't.

**Spoilers Beyond This Point**

As Sam relives her last day 7 times, I was shocked at how authentically I felt the emotions. The stages she goes through each day made me feel somewhat that she was working through the Stages of Grief, yet she was grieving her own death. She worked through confusion, anger, acceptance, and repentance. Her emotions bleed out of the pages threaten to drown you in them. She takes 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. Yet she continually grows. I loved how blatantly imperfect she was and how she struggled to get where she was by the end of it all.

The End...the controversial end. It left my heart broken in pieces all over the ground. Yet I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. It's a pain so good. It's the kind of pain that only genuine emotion can inflict. It's necessary. It's 'The Notebook' kind of pain. (You know what I'm talking about. You'll watch that movie over and over, knowing it will leave you in a sniffling mess. But you watch it anyway because the story and emotions are so beautiful and any other ending simply wouldn't suffice.)
This book haunted me for days after reading it. It still continues to haunt me. This is a book I will be revisiting again.

Bravo! Lauren Oliver, for daring not to take the easy way out with this one.


I am rating, "Before I Fall":



'Till Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment